1.25.2010

the very picture of leisure (August 09)



Between sick-day naps and office work from the couch, sifting through my summer photos has been like a mug of herbal tea for the eyes. In stark contrast to my previous post of Snowmageddon 09, thinking back to my towel on Zuma beach is strangely cathartic. My best friend Liv, the ultimate Californian, stretches out and literally takes the beach by the hand. That day in Malibu will forever be awesome: we stayed in her grandparents' condo, sat on the beach at sunset (oooh, how romantic), and cruised the local scene along PCH. Who knew a grocery run to get wine (forgetting the opener, but that's another story) and a D-list celeb sighting at the hidden Mexican restaurant could feel so normal? Put me at such ease? I took a liking to California.

In a place of perpetual vacation, or at least vacation weather, I could see myself forgetting how to work. It scares me how easily I would slip into a life of leisure and pleasure (rhyme those two words, OK? OK). However, Liv is about as gregarious as they come, as she lives, works, and thrives in fast-paced Los Angeles. Redheads have personalities as unique as their hair color, and Liv's has kept our friendship interesting for about 6 years now. For such different backgrounds, we click freakishly well. She's from CA, I'm from Wyoming - and we've each gotten to show the other our hometowns. This month, Liv began 2010 in a brand new apartment within the city limits of Los Angeles.

The city is a tough place to survive, or so I hear. But she does it, and does it well. Liv wrangles her little white Camry along Miracle Mile to work, hikes in the famed hills that overlook the expanse of buildings, explores Malibu and its beaches, attends film studio events with her good friend, and soaks it up with unbridled excitement.

Liv lives and breathes the life of the city, and she makes you love it a little bit, too. In the land of perpetual winter, it makes sense why I now crave some of that hot summer sun on my back. What I wouldn't give to listen to the waves and playful children, share a few sentences with my best friend, and let everything else melt away.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this made me teary! You two are a beautiful example of friendship to many people. And, Mags: you are an amazing, amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (gulp) trying not to cry in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. and want to be you and Liv. You really are a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete