1.27.2010

everyone(thing) needs a little vitamin D (January 10)



Because I can't believe it's -10 again, and because I spent today huddled in my windowless office, and for the reason that I still can't get New York out of my mind, I identify with this sun-seeking little birdie.

I met him while perched on the stone ledge in front of the Met. After an extremely chilly walk from Columbus Circle up through Central Park, all I craved was the sun in my face and a pretzel in my mouth. I got both, with the added bonus of extra time people-watching onto 5th Avenue. While my friend Molly and I nibbled our street-cart fare (sold to us by a charming ex-Marine), we watched as museum-goers climbed the expanse of stairs past us, hurriedly rushing inside. Also flocking to our feet was a gluttonous, over-fed melee of pigeons - one of God's creatures I have yet to fully embrace.

While the fat, waddling pigeons fought for salt crumbs from our pretzels, I watched as this little fella landed next to me and paused. It was as if he knew he had no chance in the fight for food below, and just wanted to take in the street view and a few rays. Solidarity, my little feathered friend. Take all the time you need.

1 comment: